During the cold winter months, we spend so much of our time indoors. It gets darker out earlier and we spend much less of our time in the sunlight. In order to keep our bodies and mind full of light, it’s important to get as much natural light as possible during this time of year. One of the best ways to get exposure to more natural light is by maximizing the natural light in your home. Here are some of the ways you can do that.
- Adding more mirrors or shiny reflective materials inside your home can help bring more natural light into your home. It can also reflect light and make the rooms seem bigger, more open, and lighter.
- The colors you use in your home while painting or in your home décor can either absorb or reflect light. It’s important to stay away from darker colors that soak up light and make the room look dark and dreary. Instead, consider using lighter colors in your home for bringing more natural light into your home.
- Maximizing the natural light in your home can be done by installing larger windows or doors in your home. Picture and Bay windows allow the most lighting to come through. For doors, try swapping out your solid door for one with a clear look-through opening to allow outdoor lighting to come through and have a combination of outdoor and indoor living.
- A change as little as washing the windows in your home can help maximize the natural light in your home. Having clear and clean windows will allow the most light to shine through.
- When maximizing the natural light in your home, try swapping out your heavy drapes for lighter shears or blinds to control the amount of light that comes through.
- Installing skylights in your home can be a great way to allow more natural lighting into your home.
- Don’t forget to use multiple light sources throughout your home. Try warmer light bulbs to mimic the feel of natural lighting.