Basements are one of the most common project that homeowners would finish if they had the funds.
- You add value to the home
- You have more livable space
- You can utilize the space as you please – Bar, Rec Room, or even a wine cellar!
- A finished basement can be cheaper than putting an addition on a house
- Increase the buyer appeal
- Moisture can be a problem.
- If it’s a basement that’s often wet or very damp, a finished basement can wreak havoc on the finish materials like drywall, baseboard, or carpet this could cause mold, mildew and health issues. Unless a basement is properly waterproof, you should avoid finishing because you would be sorry down the road.
- Cost – if you are on a tight budget, finishing the basement might not be a project you want to start.
- Renovations are time consuming.
- Keep your basement dry
- Come up with a plan – do you want to make your basement one big room or small rooms?
- Stick to a budget – its easy to run over when it comes to renovations