Veterans Day is celebrated on the 11th of November every year because “Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. ” – wiki
Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation to change the name of Armistice Day to Veterans Day in 1954.
Veterans Day is sometime confused with Memorial Day, the difference is that Memorial Day honors those who served that have passed, Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans. In 2019, there were at least 17.4 million veterans, 1.6 million are female. source
This year, there are many restaurants giving discounts to our Vets, you can check those out here.
There are many ways to celebrate Veterans Day
- Donate to our local VFW – Post 1498 Clifton Park- Halfmoon Memorial Post
- With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, why not adopt a Military Family for the holidays
- Fly our beautiful American flag
- Have the kids write notes or draw photos for the Veterans in your life
- Visit the Veterans Memorial Park
- Donate to the Veterans Miracle Center in Albany, NY.
Did you know Johnny Cash is a Veteran? “That was the big thing when I was growing up, singing on the radio. The extent of my dream was to sing on the radio station in Memphis. Even when I got out of the Air Force in 1954, I came right back to Memphis and started knocking on doors at the radio station.”