On June 14th, Flag Day is celebrated by many people across the country in honor of the adoption of the red white and blue Stars and Stripes as the official US flag in 1777. Flag Day is just one of the few patriotic holidays that are observed in the spring and summer months. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Veteran’s Day are also celebrated with patriotism.
People often choose to celebrate these days and the nice weather by hosting parties or cookouts with family and friends. These get togethers may be accompanied by themed red white and blue decorations and sometimes even patriotic recipes are on the menu. Not sure where to begin? Here are some of our favorite red white and blue recipes for a patriotic party!
American Flag S’mores Dip
- 20 marshmallows
- Sprinkles in red, white, and blue
- Butter or Crisco
- 9 x 9-inch square baking dish
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate)
- Graham crackers or pretzels for serving
- First, prepare the marshmallows. Have ready a baking tray lined with wax paper, marshmallows, toothpicks, a paper towel, and the sprinkles. Skewer a marshmallow with a toothpick, submerge it totally in water quickly, dab on the paper towel, hold over a bowl and cover completely with blue sprinkles (both the top and bottom, too). Prepare five blue marshmallows. (If any part of the tops are missing sprinkles, just add some with your fingers.) Repeat with the white and red sprinkles, making eight white and seven red. Let dry at least twenty minutes. Grease some kitchen scissors with butter or Crisco and cut each marshmallow in half, wiping the blades clean between colors.
- Next, prepare the s’mores. Grease the baking dish with butter or Crisco. Pour the chocolate chips evenly in the dish. Top with the marshmallows, cut-side down. Arrange 9 blue halves in the top corner. Arrange stripes of red and white, 3 red marshmallow halves, 3 white, 3 red, 6 white, 6 red, and 6 white. You should have a couple halves leftover.
- Bake in the oven at 450 degrees F for 7 to 9 minutes, just until the tops of the marshmallows start to brown. Serve with graham crackers and/or pretzels and enjoy!! Best served warm.
Recipe from: The Decorated Cookie
Firecracker Jello Desserts
- 2 packages of red jello
- 2 cups of hot, and 2 cups of cold water
- 2 packages of blue jello
- 2 cups of hot water, and 2 cups of cold water
- whipped cream – I used a store bought can of refrigerated whipped topping
- red licorice sticks
- 9×14 pans
- paper towel
- clear plastic cups – I used 9 oz. cups
- Prepare the pans by rubbing a thin layer of mayonnaise with a piece of paper towel – It’s a trick my mom taught me. Nobody will taste the mayonnaise and you won’t get oil on the jello by using cooking spray
- Prepare the red jello by stirring 2 cups of hot water with the red granules, until they are dissolved
- Add the cold water and mix in
- Pour into one of the 9×13 pans
- Next, prepare the blue jello using the 2 packages of blue jello, 2 cups of hot water, and 2 cups of cold water
- Pour into a prepared pan
- Allow the 2 jello pans to set up for about 3 hours
To Prepare the Cups:
- cut the end of the licorice stick into strips of 3 – going about 2 inches down – I tried cutting it into 5 strips…way too frustrating! Keep it simple with 3
- trim the licorice strips to fit the cups so the cut portion will stick out over the whipped cream topping. The length will vary depending on how tall your cups are
- Next Step: (basically cutting the jello into cubes)
- When it’s ready, Pull the jello out of the fridge and cut it into strips about an inch wide
- turn the pan and cut strips going the other way about an inch wide
- Spoon some red jello cubes into the bottom of the plastic cups- going about halfway up
- Spoon blue jello cubes onto the red
- When you or your guests are ready, add whipped topping, and a licorice stick to the top and enjoy the yumminess!
Recipe from: Kid Friendly Things to Do
- 1 whole watermelon
- 16 ounces fresh blueberries
- Bamboo skewers
- Cut watermelon vertically into 1 inch thick slices.
- Use a small star cookie cutter to cut out star shapes from the flesh of each watermelon round.
- Thread 7-10 blueberries into the center of each bamboo skewer, leaving enough space at the end for someone to be able to comfortably hold it, and a space at the top for the watermelon star.
- Place the watermelon star on top and set the fruit sparklers on a serving tray. Cover and refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
Recipe from: Tastes Better From Scratch
Patriotic White Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 12 double-stuffed Oreos
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup Wilton red chocolate melts
- 1 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
- 1 cup Wilton dark blue chocolate melts
- Red, white and blue sprinkles, nonpareils and jimmies
- 3 Oreo cookie molds (6 on each sheet)
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a double boiler pan, melt 1 tablespoon solid shortening.
- Add white chocolate melts to the shortening and stir until completely melted.
- Pour 2 T of the melted chocolate into each mold to cover the bottom entirely.
- Place an Oreo into each mold, on top of the melted chocolate.
- Using a Tablespoon, pour additional melted chocolate on top of the Oreo until the mold is full. Set aside remaining melted chocolate for later.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Repeat steps 2-7 using 1 tablespoon each solid shortening and the red and blue chocolate melts. (You will have 6 red, 6 white and 6 blue chocolate covered Oreos.)
- Remove candy molds from the refrigerator after one hour.
- Gently press down on the molds to lift the cookies out onto the baking sheet.
- Reheat any remaining melted chocolate (most likely it has hardened) in the microwave for 30 seconds. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the Oreos in a different color. Red over a blue or white Oreo and white over a red or blue Oreo, etc.
- Sprinkle each cookie with your choice of sprinkles, nonpareils, and jimmies.
Recipe from: Premeditated Leftovers
Patriotic Trifle Recipe
- 1 3 oz package berry blue gelatin
- 1 3 oz package strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 3.4 oz. packages each instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 oz. Carton frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 whole prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces) cut into 1-inch cubes
- In two small bowls, combine each gelatin flavor with 1 cup boiling water. Stir ½ cup cold water into each. Pour each into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
- Set aside ¼ cup blueberries and ½ cup strawberries for garnish. Cut the gelatin into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or serving dish, layer the strawberry gelatin, half of the cake cubes, the remaining blueberries and half of the pudding mixture.
- Top with blue gelatin and remaining cake cubes, strawberries and pudding mixture. Garnish with reserved berries and remaining whipped topping. Serve immediately.
Recipe from: Stock Piling Moms
Patriotic Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 pint Strawberries
- 1 package Chocolate Candy Melts Blue and White
- ½ cup Patriotic Jimmies Patriotic Jimmies, nonpareils, Blue Sugar Crystals , Edible Glitter
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white candy discs for 30-second intervals until melted.
- Dip strawberries about half way up and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Let dry for 5-10 minutes.
- Melt blue candy discs the same as you did the white discs.
- Dip a few strawberries in the blue discs about ¼ way up, then add sprinkles. Dip a few in the white discs and add sprinkles. Place back on the parchment paper and let dry.
Recipe from: Princess Pinky Girl
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 package (10 oz., about 40) Marshmallows
- 8 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- 9 cups rice krispie cereal
- Melt Butter and marshmallows in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Separate marshmallow mixture into 3 bowls and add food coloring for layers.
- Working one layer at a time, start pressing in the colored layers into 9×13 pan.
- Make sure there are no empty spaces or gaps.
- Allow a few minutes for each layer to set before adding on next layer.
- After top layer, allow entire treat to set up before using star shaped cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Recipe from: Blooming Homestead
Red White and Blue Sangria (Adults Only)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup honey dew melon balls
- 1 750ml bottle Moscato white wine
- 8 oz vodka
- 8 oz juice use white grape if you want more clear sangria
- Wash fruit. Slice strawberries into thirds, removing greens.
- Use a melon baller, star cutter or just cut honey dew melon into chunks.
- In a 2-liter pitcher, add strawberries, blueberries, honey dew melon then fill with the entire bottle of wine.
- Gently stir in vodka and juice.
- Refrigerate, ideally overnight or for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe from: Mighty Mrs.
Red White and Blue Fruit Salad
- Strawberries, washed and cut in half
- Blue berries, rinsed
- Bananas sliced in thick chunks
- Fresh Lime
- Wash and cut all your fruit.
- Combine in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Here is a hint – microwave your lime for 10 seconds before you cut and squeeze it. You will get more out of it after it was warmed up.
- Drizzle the honey lime glaze over the fruit and stir slightly to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Recipe from: Eating on a Dime
Star Spangled Patriotic Snack Mix
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups crispy rice square cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup of M&M’S (we picked out just the red & blue ones)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Patriotic sprinkles
- Measure out cereal and put in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and white chocolate chips & pour over the cereal and mix.
- Once it’s cool, place the mixture into a large zip-top bag, add the powdered sugar and toss until all the cereal is coated in powdered sugar.
- Add in the M&M’S, sprinkles and marshmallows
Recipe from: The Chirping Moms
Red White and Blue Slushy Cocktail (Adults Only)
Blue Slush Layer
- 2 cups ice
- 2 oz. Blue Curacao
- 1 cup homemade lemonade
White Slush Layer
- 2 cups ice
- 2 oz. Smirnoff Red, White & Berry
- 1 cup homemade lemonade
Red Slush Layer
- 1 ¼ cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 oz. Smirnoff Red, White & Berry vodka
- ¼ cup of homemade lemonade
- Blend each layer separately until smooth.
- Store in freezer until ready to build your cocktail.
- Pour each layer into a highball glass and serve immediately.
Recipe from: Sugar Spice and Glitter
Stars and Stripes Kid-Friendly Mocktail Recipe
- 1 cup Cranapple Juice
- 1 cup Sobe Elixir Pina Colada
- 1 cup Blue G2 Gatorade
- Make sure all ingredients are well chilled.
- Fill glass 1/4 of way with ice.
- Fill with cranapple juice just to 1/3 way up.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until ice layer has formed on red layer.
- Fill to top with ice
- Gently fill with pina colada by pouring over the back of a spoon to 2/3 way up.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes or until ice layer has formed on white layer.
- Gently fill with G2 by pouring over the back of a spoon rest of way up.
Recipe from: The Frugal Navy Wife
Red White and Boozy Pudding Shots (Adults Only)
- 1 box sugar free vanilla pudding
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup white chocolate or vanilla liquor
- ½ red white and berry vodka
- 1 tub of fat free whipped topping
- Using an electric mixer, beat together pudding, milk and both liquors.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon into small cups, and top with sprinkles. Freeze overnight.
Recipe from: Pudding Shot Madness
Kid-Friendly Edible Flag
- Frosting or Cool whip
- Graham crackers
- Assemble flags onto the graham cracker using the frosting or cool whip as glue.
- Add blueberries for the stars
- Add the strawberries for the stripes.
Recipe from: The Educators Spin On It
Easy Flag Fruit Dessert
- 5-6 cups of red fresh fruit. I used cherries, strawberries and raspberries
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 3 cups of yogurt or white chocolate covered pretzels
- Wash fresh fruit and dry.
- Lay out fruit and pretzels to represent the flag stripes.
- Place a small bowl of blueberries on the top left.
Recipe from: Family Fresh Meals